Student Support Assistant
A specialist SEND provision within a college in Feltham are looking for Student support assistants to work with 16 – 18 years old with SEND and behavioual needs.
As a Student Support Assistant, you’ll be working within their Inclusion Centre. You’ll be providing support for individual (s) or groups of students across the college with additional support needs to enable them to learn as effectively possible on their own and in groups, considering the needs involved. This may include challenging behaviour.
This is a student-led role and you’ll be given more responsibility in managing the students timetable and following up on their absences, as well as keeping accurate records of student attendance. Experience of developing both an understanding barrier to learning faced by students and a range of strategies to overcome them will be beneficial in this role.
– You will be required to identify opportunities for the student (s) to work independently where appropriate. The role will involve support to other students in the classroom.
– To assist with the general pastoral care of the student(s).
– Provide support for students’ emotional and social needs by encouraging and modelling positive behaviour in line with the College’s Behaviour Policy
– Provide one to one support, where required
– You’ll be required to assist in planning of activities
– Assist with the supervision of students out of lesson times.
– Mentoring experience
– Pastoral care experience
– Additional SEND experience – Autism, Dyslexia and Moderate learning Difficulties
– Possess or willing to work towards a Literacy and Numeracy qualification at Level 2 or above
– Have the ability to work independently with minimum supervision.
To be eligible for the role you must hold a current DBS certificate that is registered with the Update Service or be willing to complete one and be able to provide two professional references that cover the last two years of employment.
This vibrant college of further and higher education supports school leavers and adults and is located in the centre of Feltham. Alongside the mainstream college they have a Special Needs Provision for students aged 16 – 18-year-olds with SEND and/or challenging behaviour. Over their two campuses in the college has a range of up-to-date equipment and departments to help prepare their students for the workplace:
– Music and recording TV Studios
– Mac Computer Suites
– Learning and Resource Centre
– Specialist staff centre – Education Psychologist department. Speech and Language Therapists and Communication Support Workers department